Steered by experienced hands in the arena of Forensic & Litigation Support Services, Nexia TS and our partner, Smith & Williamson, are well-positioned to provide the most cost-effective services, including the preservation and collection of information from multi-dimensional sources and related investigation and dispute resolution services to serve your investigation, arbitration and litigation needs.
The intense competition in the business world, relentless pressure to deliver better financial results, individual greed and the pursuit after exorbitant lifestyles, have all contributed to increased fraud, in terms of scale and occurrence, threatening the stability and sustainability of any business.
We have a dedicated team of trained auditors and Certified Fraud Examiners (CFE) specialising in fraud investigation. The team has experience in investigating fraud cases across different industries and countries.
Our investigative approach is dynamic and thorough. We always approach a case in phases; we assess and deploy the right skill sets and tools on a case by case basis. Our team can be mobilised and deployed locally or regionally within 48 hours (subject to flight availability).
Accounting fraud is a deliberate manipulation of accounting records to create a false impression of financial performance or position. Examples of accounting frauds are:
• Omission of liabilities
• Non-disclosure of risky investments (off balance sheet items)
• Systematic overstatement of revenue or understatement of losses
• Understatement of expenses (capitalising expense)
We have a team of qualified and experienced Chartered Accountants (CA) who are trained to identify, quantify and address a variety of financial irregularities.
Most corporate frauds committed by shareholders and employees are done through electronic devices/channels such as computers, mobile phones, and social media. However, most people do not realise that everything they do on such devices leave a trace. Internet history, instant messaging chat logs, deleted emails and documents are some of the ways where traces of activity can be monitored.
We have a team of Certified Forensic Examiners with decades of experience in examining over several thousand devices and testifying in court:
• Digital forensic services on electronic devices
• Cyber fraud and hacking investigations
• Forensic data analytics
• e-Discovery and e-Disclosures
• Forensic technology products sales and support
Knowing who we deal with is essential in any business dealings. Someone you plan to engage may be a fraudster, criminal or sanctioned person/company in your country or globally.
Our due diligence service is based on trusted sources. We provide the following forms of screening:
• Pre-acquisition screening (including mystery customer audits)
• Pre-employment screening (including psychometric testing)
• Company proﬁle screening (including reputation check)
• Individual proﬁle screening (including sanction and social media check)
The scope of screening is customised to clients’ needs and is subject to local privacy laws; these extend to areas such as trade embargo, sanction, ﬁnancial, reference check, past history and criminal records.
Knowing how your business partners are performing is essential. It is imperative that key areas of concern or possible unethical conduct, such as whether they are compliant with your contracted terms or if they are breaking the law, are raised during the partnership.
We have a team of legally trained professionals to provide vendor management audit at your partners’ sites to investigate if they are quoting you unreasonable prices or are compliant with the contract terms agreed by both parties. These arrangements can be ad-hoc or recurring, depending on the Scope of Work (SOW) that you would like us to embark on.
Nexia TS and Smith & Williamson’s specialist Monitoring Trustee services team act as Independent Auditor (Monitoring Trustee) on remedies arising out of mergers and anti-trust investigations. We can also assist companies in developing in-house anti-trust compliance programmes.
Our teams from Singapore and the UK have acted on behalf of the Competition and Consumer Commission of Singapore (CCCS), the European Commission (EC) and the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), and have worked with corporates across a broad range of industry sectors.
Regulatory Compliance is a key to business success in today’s context, where governments are constantly reviewing and implementing laws to address terrorism, fraud, business ethics and other social issues. We work with your in-house Legal Counsels, Compliance Officers, Security team and Internal Auditors to help them, through processes review, to identify key risks and integrate the necessary controls into easy-to-understand/manage workflows for your business. We also provide outsourced support in the subject matter.
Through our numerous engagements across industries and countries, we are experienced in identifying controls deﬁciency and preventing fraud. Our team is legally trained and well-versed in assessing compliance with key legislations aﬀecting businesses, particularly in areas such as:
• Anti-Bribery and Corruption with reference to the UK Bribery Act (UKBA) and US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
• Anti-Money Laundering with reference to the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) recommendations
• Export laws with reference to the US Export Administration Regulation (EAR) and Singapore Strategic Goods
Control Act (SGCA)
• Individual or company sanction and embargo screening
• Privacy laws such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and the Personal Data Protection Act (PDPA)
Anti-Money Laundering and Countering the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) are increasingly required to combat money launderers who abuse the financial system between countries. In recent times, terrorism funding has also been a cause for concern globally.
As punitive measures increase against abusers of the financial system, businesses need to safeguard against rogue parties abusing their systems to launder funds. We have a team of qualified and experienced Certified Anti-Money Laundering Specialists (CAMS) who can review your existing processes and work on developing a robust AML program.
Types of AML services we can assist with include:
• Assist to set up AML Program for our clients
• Review client’s existing Policies and Processes for gaps in AML
• Provide functional support to client’s designated AML compliance officer
• Conduct AML awareness training for clients
• Conduct independent audit to test client’s AML program
• Perform Due Diligence in support of client’s Know Your Customer (KYC) and Know Your Employee (KYE) program
We act as the quantum expert on claims requiring ﬁnancial analysis, assessment of damages, valuation or quantiﬁcation of loss. Our experts have acted on disputes involving many sectors across multiple jurisdictions and have access to major international resources through the Nexia International network.